You can help
Follow Us
What's new?
  • September 2012 (1)
  • August 2012 (1)
  • November 2011 (1)
  • September 2011 (3)
  • August 2011 (1)
  • July 2011 (1)
  • June 2011 (1)
  • May 2011 (1)
  • April 2011 (4)
  • February 2011 (1)
  • December 2010 (1)
  • November 2010 (2)
  • September 2010 (3)
  • August 2010 (2)
  • July 2010 (1)
  • June 2010 (1)
  • May 2010 (3)
  • April 2010 (3)

The Arnold Simonton House is one of the oldest houses in Montgomery County. The Greek-revival structure was built in 1845 by Dr. E.J. Arnold. Dr. Arnold moved from Connecticut in the mid-1830s with his wife Rhoda Ann Warner. They settled in Montgomery where they lived in a log house until construction began on this one-story cottage. In 1977, the house was given to the Montgomery Historical Society, moved to a different place on the property, and became the Montgomery City Hall.

Now situated as the focal point within Fernland Historical Park, the white house with its dentil trim features a pair of rooms on either side of an enclosed central hall. The rooms share interior double fireplaces, reflecting a Connecticut influence.

The Arnold-Simonton home was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1964 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

More photos